Student Review: Total Drawing

Angelica Salvia is a recent graduate of our Total Drawing course, taught by Ilga Leimanis.  We had a chat to Angelica about her experience on the course and how it has benefitted her career and personal development

Why did you choose to study Total Drawing?

I chose the Total Drawing course because I needed to regain a physical approach to creativity which I feel I had lost over the years through the increasing usage of technological devices in my profession.  Also, as a designer, I personally find it fundamental to stay challenged, strengthening my mental flexibility and forcing me to adapt to a different point of view.

What 3 words describe your short course experience at Central Saint Martins?

Solid, for its structure. The first part of the class was always very intense and focused on technique. The afternoon was dedicated to a looser approach to the visual representation and was more emotionally engaging.

Intimate, because of the limited number of people admitted to the class which allowed us to fully engage and concentrate.  The presence of like-minded people enjoying the moment and our encouraging tutor, created a positive creative energy in the classroom.

Flexible, for the variety of subjects drawn, the use of outdoor venues, and the freedom of expression gained once we were given basic technical directions.

Angelica Salvia
Angelica Salvia

What did you enjoy most about your course?

The Life Drawing sessions were surprisingly overwhelming and challenging. The task of catching the whole essence of a pose in only a few seconds when the model was changing poses very quickly was highly engaging.

How has this course benefited your career or personal development?

By slowly taking control of my drawing skills again, my spatial awareness has become more powerful.  Through drawing I have developed a more fluid hand, which allows me to design a more spontaneous and vivid imprint of my spatial visions.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking this course?

Whatever your ability, this course will be the occasion to learn new skills or refresh existing skills and perspectives. You may also find that a particular exercise actually triggers something you can adapt and use in your profession. I would suggest approaching it with an open mind as you might be really surprised with what you are able to achieve at the end of the day. Ultimately just enjoy the process and trust your intuition!

The next Total Drawing Course starts on 11 April 2016 with further dates throughout the year

The course is also taught online with the next course starting on 28 April 2016

Ilga Leimanis also teaches:

Drawing Portfolio – Daytime

Portfolio Sketchbook

Related Blog Post